Television in Wales
The longest-running science fiction television show in the world, Doctor Who, is filmed in South Wales. Revived by Welsh writer and producer Russell T Davies, the BBC show has won many awards, and Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood was filmed in and around South Wales too. In fact, the Torchwood ‘hub’ was situated in front of the Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff.
Sherlock, one of the best-loved BBC shows over recent years, is based on the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. The crime drama has won multiple BAFTA and Primetime Emmy Awards. The show is filmed in Cardiff at a number of well know landmarks and the Pinewood Studios Wales. Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Doctor John Watson, a pedigree of actors which has no doubt helped the show become popular worldwide and run into four series so far.
Gavin and Stacey, the BAFTA Award Winning British sitcom, was also made here in Wales. Written by and starring Welsh writer and actress Ruth Jones, the show also included Rob Brydon and Joanna Page.
Being Human is a supernatural drama television series where paranormal beings try to fit in with human society. The first two series were set in Bristol before all other series relocated to Barry in Wales.
Casualty is the longest-running medical-based drama series on prime time TV in the world. After 26 years of filming in Bristol, the show moved to Cardiff and the purpose-built Roath Lock studios in 2011. The city of Cardiff can be seen in many of the location shoots.
Other TV shows made here in Wales include;
- Keeping Faith / Un Bore Mercher - - A hugely popular drama series shot in South West Wales about a Welsh lawyers husband who goes missing.
- Requiem - A spooky thriller staring Lydia Wilson was shot in and around Newport and Dolgellau.
- A Discovery of Witches - A new adaption of the historical fantasy novel by Deborah Harknesproduced. The series will be filmed by Bad Wolf in South Wales.
- Hinterland, a very popular detective series set around Aberystwyth West Wales.
- Da Vinci's Demons, a show set around a fictional depiction of Leonardo Da Vinci’s early life. All 3 series were filmed mainly in and around Swansea and Margam Castle in South West Wales.
- Atlantis was a TV show based on Greek mythology and when it aired in 2013 it had the biggest BBC ratings since 2006
- Ordinary Lies, a drama based around the complicated lives of office co-workers was filmed in Cardiff for the second series.
- The Prisoner, The 1960s cult TV series, which was filmed at Portmeirion in North West Wales.
- Merlin - 5 series were produced for this very popular show about the early life of Merlin the wizard-based in King Arthurs Camelot.
Animations in Wales
Our Welsh television producers S4C International have an animation catalogue that is broadcast all over the world and have had two Oscar nominations for Famous Fred and The Canterbury Tales. Animortal Studios in Bridgend have also created the Chuck Steel animation Films, which have proven to be popular.
Fireman Sam has been aired for 30 years, is shown in 40 countries and is a favourite of Prince George.
Awards and festivals
BAFTA Cymru Awards is celebrated each year. BAFTA is the main training organisation for the film, television and interactive media industries in Wales.
Celtic Media Festival is an annual three-day celebration of broadcasting, film talent and excellence from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany.