Wales and Africa
Wales has a number of links with Africa, which continue to grow. We are currently celebrating 10 years of the Wales for Africa programme!
The Wales for Africa programme is a beacon for Welsh efforts to help deliver the UN Sustainable Development Goals to overcome poverty and suffering. It reflects the conscious choice of the government and people of Wales to be an outward facing nation that confidently recognises the contribution we can make to the world as active and responsible global citizens.
- Wales has over 150 community links with Africa, working to broaden horizons, friendships and to improve each others communities.
- Wales has a fifth of all UK hospital to hospital links with sub-Saharan Africa.
- Wales is the world’s first Fair Trade Nation!
- Wales-Mbale Million Trees project with Size of Wales programme was chosen by the UN as one of it's 'Lighthouse Projects' at the launch of Momentum for Change in 2011
- Wales has the longest established Somali community in Europe.
“People in Wales have big hearts. They belong in a small country but,
oh man, they really have the kick of a mule! One is just thrilled.”
Archbishop Desmond Tutu