Events in Wales
Take a look at some of the events taking place in Wales over the coming months.
Please select a month:
Events take place throughout the year at Cadw sites across Wales, including at many of our castles.
- See in the New Year in the heart of Cardiff. Calennig (the Welsh word for New Year celebration/gift) offers fun for all the family
- The fun (and very cold) Barry Island New Year's Day Dip takes place each 1 January. Fancy dress is optional
- The RBS Six Nations Rugby Internationals start at Principality Stadium (formerly Millennium Stadium), Cardiff and continue into March
- 1 March is St David’s Day (Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant), when we celebrate our Patron Saint at events around the country
- Cwlwm Celtaidd - Wales' Interceltic Festival, Porthcawl is a family festival of music, song and dance of the Celtic countries of Ireland, Scotland, Isle of Man, Cornwall, Brittany & Wales
- Laugharne Weekend Festival - Enjoy a fun-packed weekend of literature, music and comedy
- Focus Music Festival, Wrexham
- RHS Spring Flower Show, Cardiff
- Big Walk Wales get outdoors
- Hay Festival of Literature - Britain’s ‘town of books’ is the ideal setting for this literary festival with an international reputation
- Urdd National Eisteddfod (Youth Eisteddfod) - Europe’s largest youth arts festival.
- Be entertained at the Machynlleth Comedy Festival
- Take on the challenge of the Snowdonia Slateman Triathlon or Man Versus Horse
- Enjoy classical music at the Gregynog Festival
- Cardiff Singer of the Year takes place every 2 years, in June, when classical singers from around the world compete in the Welsh capital
Cardiff will host both the men's and women's UEFA Champions League Finals
- Tafwyl, Welsh language festival
- Gemau Cymru, a multi sport event for the young athletes
- British Speedway, Principality Stadium, Cardiff
- Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod is one of Wales’ major annual events - a truly international festival of music, dance and song
- Royal Welsh Show in Builth Wells, Britain’s most popular agricultural show
- The Big Cheese in Caerphilly is one of the largest free gatherings of re-enactments, entertainers, music and folk dancing
- National Eisteddfod of Wales, this cultural gathering is dedicated to Welsh, Britain’s oldest living language but non-Welsh speakers are very welcome
- The Anglesey Agricultural Show another great agricultural show
- Green Man Festival is an alternative 3 day folk festival in the Brecon Beacons
- Glass Butter Beach a music, action sports and beach lifestyle festival in Abersoch on the Llyn Peninsula
- World Bog Snorkelling Championship in Llanwrtyd Wells, competitors snorkel the length of a peaty murky trench in a Mid Wales bog
- Open Doors events - in September many buildings in Wales not normally accessible to the public will be throwing open their doors to visitors. Takes place throughout September. Programme available in August
- The Abergavenny Food Festival features local produce and international delicacies, celebrity chefs, masterclasses, tastings and street stalls
- Festival No 6 takes place in the Italianate village of Portmeirion
- Beaumaris Food Festival offers fabulous food, live music and great family fun
- Elvis Festival in the seaside town of Porthcawl is the biggest Elvis festival in Europe, attracting Elvis tribute acts from all over the world
- Take on the challenge of Iron Man Wales in Pembrokeshire
- Swn Festival in Cardiff, a 3 day music festival showcasing the best of new music coming in and out of Wales
- Dylan Thomas Festival in Swansea, talks, performances, exhibitions, readings and music with a Dylan Thomas theme.
- Cardiff Half Marathon
- Iris Prize Festival Cardiff’s International LGBT short film prize
- Snowdonia Walking Festival
- Monmouthshire Food Festival in Caldicot Castle
- Artes Mundi (held every 2 years)
- Swansea International Festival offers two weeks of music and arts events
- Wales Rally GB
- Rugby - the Under Armour Series takes place during the November at the Principality Stadium (formerly Millennium Stadium), Cardiff. Wales face Australia, Argentina, Japan and South Africa.
- Llandudno Christmas Fayre
- Abergavenny Christmas Food and Drink Festival
- Cardiff’s Winter Wonderland - Outdoor ice skating and family entertainment on Cardiff’s City Hall lawn
- Swansea Winter Wonderland - Visit Santa and his reindeer and soak up the festive atmosphere
- Caerphilly Christmas Fayre is one of Wales's largest Christmas markets, with plenty of entertainment
- Tenby Boxing Day Swim
- Nos Galan Road Races, New Year’s Eve
All links will open in a popup window.
- National Museums - events and exhibitions
- There's plenty going on at our National Museums throughout the year.
Events details given for general information. Please check the official sites for details.