We are launching a new campaign ‘Wales in Germany 2021’ to showcase the breadth of activity and exchange happening in Germany and in Wales across commerce, science and innovation, culture and the arts, education, alumni, tourism, civic links and sustainable development.
Wales is a nation open to new ideas, always inspiring, ready and willing to collaborate. We are a creative nation with talented people, a proud history and a rich bilingual culture to celebrate and share. We want to share knowledge and ideas. We want to build a platform of dialogue and exchange with Germany for tomorrow.
Great things happen when people, places and new ideas connect. In 2021 we are planning an exciting programme of events throughout the year commencing with our launch of our campaign on 11th January. On St Davids Day, 1st March, we will celebrate ‘all things Welsh’ - a week-long virtual programme of cultural and musical events, webinars, readings and much more. In autumn 2021, we will host a ‘Germany in Wales’ day.
In 2021, National Dance Company Wales will tour Germany, and The British Council and Literature Wales will partner with Literaturhaus Stuttgart.
On July 7th Welsh bass-baritone Sir Bryn Terfel will sing Richard Wagner's "The Flying Dutchman" during the Munich Opera Festival, and will also perform in the Festival's special concert.
Welsh musician and producer Kelly Lee Owens will perform her new album "Inner Song" in Berlin (November 5th at Gretchen), in Munich (November 9th at Ampere) and in Cardiff (November 25th at Y Plas).
At the UN Climate Change Conference 2021 (COP26) there will be youth dialogues on shared global responsibility in climate protection. 2021 will also mark the 66th anniversary of the twinning between Cardiff and Stuttgart, to mark the occasion there will be a "Germany in Wales Day" in Cardiff in autumn 2021.
Our Welsh Government offices in Berlin and Düsseldorf will support Welsh company trade missions and science and innovation exchanges throughout Germany.
- 11 January: Launch of Wales in Germany 2021
- 11 January: ‘Connecting our Countries: Wales in Germany 2021’ virtual event.
- 1 March: St David’s Day, a week-long celebration of Wales and St David’s Day online.
- 4-6 March: Virtual Wales Literature Seminar, organised by British Council Wales and Germany, Literaturhaus Stuttgart and Literature Wales.
- 7 July: Sir Bryn Terfel sings Wagner’s ‘The Flying Dutchman’ at Munich Opera Festival.
- 22-25 July: Future Generations Commissioner Young Leaders Academy to attend the One World Summit in Munich.
- 9-13 October: Welsh Government trade mission to Anuga, Cologne.
- 15-18 November: Welsh Government trade mission to Medica, Düsseldorf.
- 16-19 November: Welsh Government trade mission to SemiCon Europa, Munich.
- 18/19 November: ‘German Day in Wales’ German Careers Fair.
- 5/9 November: Kelly Lee Owens performs in Berlin and Munich.
- December: multiple performances by National Dance Company Wales throughout Germany.
We will also be updating our timetable of activities throughout the year as more events are confirmed.
This is Wales. This is our story…… We look forward to celebrating with you!