Spring events and things to do
[RHS Flower show]
Festivals, large and small, are an integral part of Welsh life, particularly in the spring and summer.
Enjoy a whole variety of festivals and things to do in Wales during the spring. Here are some of the events that take place during the season.
- There are St David's Day celebrations across Wales on our national day on 1 March, including parades in Cardiff and Colwyn Bay.
- In March the Sci-fi & Fantasy Weekender takes place In North Wales.
- Music festivals taking place during the spring include the Bangor Music Festival, an annual celebration of new and contemporary music taking place during March.
- There are a host of events taking place at many of our Cadw sites, including a Medieval Birthday Bash at Caerphilly Castle and a Dragon’s Egg Easter Quest in Caernarfon Castle over the Easter weekend.
- For those who enjoy gardening, there’s the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) Flower Show, which takes place in Cardiff each spring.
- The Wonderwool Festival is a festival of Welsh wool and natural fibres and takes place in the Royal Welsh Showgrounds in Builth Wells, mid Wales
- Focus Wales takes place in Wrexham when 150+ bands play across 15 stages. There'll also be three days of interactive sessions and events, and showcase three days of stand-up comedy.
- During May the Vale of Glamorgan Festival takes place, with a variety concerts.
- There's a weekend of poetry, biography, music, film, radio, and comedy at the Laugharne Weekend.
- The Children's Literature Festival takes place in Cardiff.
- Enjoy stand up comedy at the Machynlleth Comedy Festival.
- The Royal Welsh Spring Festival in the Royal Welsh Showground.
- The Roman Weekend in Cardiff Castle
- The Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza with a variety of entertainment, as well as vintage cars and steam engines.
- Monster Jam returns to the Principality Stadium.
- The Tredegar House Folk Festival, with dances from around the world and the May Day Carnival in Llandaff, Cardiff.
- How the Light Gets in 2018 festival takes palce from 25th -28th May at Hay. Its one of the Worlds largest philosophy and music festival.
- The Hay Festival welcomes people from across the world. The festival features ten days of fascinating events featuring leading authors, directors, scientists and historians.
Food and drink festivals
Wrexham Food & Drink Festival features local food, demonstrations. The festival features plenty of aromas including fresh fudge, local ale, burgers and sausages, all while raising money for a good cause.
Welsh Perry & Cider Festival takes place in the beautiful medieval Caldicot Castle and country park during May.
Also in May, the Cowbridge Food & Drink Festival will feature 80 food and drink exhibitors, food demonstrations, entertainments over the bank holiday and the Caerphilly Food Festival takes place across the town with great food and family activities to enjoy.
Dylan Day is held each year on 14 May (the date Under Milk Wood was first read on stage at The Poetry Centre in New York in 1953). There are many celebrations taking place during this day. You can join in online by helping to write the world's longest love poem.
Cycling in Ceredigion
Other things to do in Wales
For those that enjoy star gazing, Wales has two international dark sky reserves, the Brecon Beacons National Park and Snowdonia National Park. Pembrokeshire Coast National Park is a Dark Sky Discovery Site and Elan Valley is an International Dark Sky Park.