Food & Farming
Wales has a rich and diverse food and drink industry with a proliferation of producers, large and small.
The Welsh Government is rigorously addressing the need for ever better supply chains and distribution centres to help speed up deliveries to the consumer.
Strong collective marketing under the Wales the True Taste banner is also being achieved. Promotion of Welsh food and drink through the True Taste awards scheme has helped spread the message that Wales is a producer of a diverse range of high quality products as well as our world renowned Welsh Lamb and Welsh Beef.
Now employing 18% of the Welsh workforce, approximately 230,000 people, and generating around£6.5bn of sales revenue annually, the food and drink supply chain is, in fact, now the largest combined industry of employment in Wales.
The Welsh Government has a support framework in place to help grow the sector from indigenous start up businesses to accommodating the needs of large scale inward investment projects.
Key features of the support available are:
• A large and highly skilled workforce
• Excellent new product development and incubation facilities at food industry development centres and the expertise of world renowned Higher Education departments
• A wide variety of public and private sector funding available
• International & UK market development support
• Cost competitive commercial and industrial property
• The support of an experienced Welsh Government sector development team to help grow your business in Wales
Our food and drink strategy – Food for Wales, Food from Wales sets out a vision for the sector over the next ten years and the Welsh Government is committed to ensuring that inward investment is part of this.
We know that every business is different. We’ll listen to what you need and help bring together everything required to make it happen. From a skilled workforce to property advice, through to a range of finance options and support for research and development. And Wales has one of the best staff retention records in Europe.
Long after you decide to locate in Wales, we will still be here to support and help you develop your business.
For more information about business support and development opportunities please phone +44 (0) 3000 6 03000 or click here to email us.